blessed are the easily amused

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

overcast and undercooked

So there we were on the lawn at work. Some charitable soul had decided to sell hamburgers to raise money for people who actually have something to complain about. The barbecue huddled under a little shelter, as though trying to hide from both the rainclouds and the ugly industrial scenery. Festive? Like a shunning.

My burger was pink and oozed in protest as I eyed it up. This burger was the sacrificial cow that would pay for my breakup of the previous night. The intra-office love affair had reached last call, and my intimacy hangover needed fuel.

Suddenly, he appeared in front of me, a column of fork lightening, an electric presence that illuminated me and my shitty burger - the beautiful vegetarian ex-boyfriend/co-worker, as wholesome as organic soymilk, his eyes as sad as Ted Neely's in Jesus Christ Superstar. I knew we would have to talk, and talk small. I started:

"Some weather."

"Yeah."

"This burger's pretty gross."

"Yeah. They should have veggie burgers."

"How are you?"

"OK."

"Good."

"Yeah."

"So..."

"Yeah, I better get to work."

"Right. Seeya."

"Yeah, bye."

It's going to get a lot better, though. Poignant anticlimax is just the first of several phases. The cougar will roam again.

3 Comments:

Blogger miss.nicola said...

Yah, those burgers were sick.

Wed Jun 08, 07:22:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Coog - having roamed this earth alone for many, many years and being a coog myself, I feel in my domain to point out what you seem to disregard far too easily. Your coat is shiney, your claws are retractable and your teeth are as sharp as your wit. You still know what makes you purr and what makes you play, and your leaping and running muscles are getting stronger everyday. I guess the giant metaphor has to end sometime, so I'll sum up. It's ok to digest and languish with cohorts and trusted companions before your next big meal. And I don't mean the empty calories and dangerously high fat content of the Happy Meal(copyright). I mean the well-balanced-with-a-touch-of-gourmet kind of meal you weren't expecting to satisfy you the way it did. Does. Can. Whatever.

Fri Jun 10, 02:32:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward to the next episode... wherein our heroine runs like the lithe cougar she is.

Oh yeah... you know what I'm talkin' 'bout.

(I crawled 5k in the mountains today. Good except for the uphill part. Oh yeah, and the no oxygen part.)

G

Sun Jun 12, 09:30:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home