blessed are the easily amused

Friday, August 19, 2005

Also, this:

I'll be leaving for Indonesia in 2 weeks.

What, didn't I tell you? It's going to be difficult, and weird, and good.

I'm going to Banda Aceh and a few other areas that were smashed to bits by the tsunami last year. A volunteer organization is sending a bunch of us to find out how the rebuilding effort is going.

I'll be posting my culture-shocked observations to http://www.bitlink.ca/mccs/ when I can, during the 2 and a half weeks that I'm there.

When I come back, I expect to be thoroughly ass-kicked, having observed real struggle. So, no bug up my ass, but maybe a parasite up my colon. I'll also be broke or at least badly bent.

This has been a shake-up summer, my darlings. I've seen thousand-year-old rock paintings and heard heart-breaking songs by a South African genius. I've dumped a canoe into damned cold water. I've changed a diaper. I've run 10 k without puking my guts out. I've let my heart be alternately eviscerated and coated in honey.

It's been a year since I donned cougar ears. Have I learned anything? I have my doubts.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dar said...

For some strange reason this post moved me to tears. What can I say, I'm weird, but you, my dear coug', are beautiful.

Sat Aug 20, 08:32:00 PM

 
Blogger sally said...

lise... your phone, it appears to no longer be in service...
alas, this be my only communication, umm.. have a nice time

Sun Aug 21, 02:47:00 PM

 
Blogger lisa said...

yeah, sorry sal, the person you are trying to reach has temporarily placed her head in her rectum. I'll be back in service in a jiffy, though.

Mon Aug 22, 02:05:00 PM

 
Blogger whistling ninja said...

Well now, how could have not learned something? I would venture that, considering everything, it's probably been a prosperous year learning-wise. Ah but the density of the muck makes it oh so hard to see the light. It seems, though, that the muck does harden, crack, and, shard by shard, fall and diminish(mostly) into dust.
Yes. A very good year for learning.
Oh. One other thing. Stop calling yourself a cougar. Age-wise, style-wise, I think you've got the wrong kitty. Yes, you are still a young woman. Young and lovely. Fear not.

Mon Aug 22, 03:00:00 PM

 
Blogger Amonym said...

your link gives away your identity, not that it matters to me. We share an interest in gamelan, so I ran across your site. Like your writing style...

Mon Nov 13, 01:20:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home