blessed are the easily amused

Monday, September 19, 2005

ma'af

That means sorry. Sorry I've had nothing to say. I could blame the lack of internet access, but it would be more accurate to say this:

Mass graves have a way of robbing one of glib remarks, the kind I've made a habit of posting here.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't been wandering the fields of the dead day and night since I left or anything. It's just that my usual throw-away tone just doesn't seem like it would do this thing justice.

For those of you who've just tuned in, I've been in Aceh checking out the rebuilding efforts. Suffice it to say that there is much work to be done. Years and years worth. And some good work is being done. Imagine rebuilding a sandcastle grain by grain - if you had enough hands and enough time and the right tools it could be done, but every time you stepped back and looked at your progress it would just break your heart.

See? See how this earnest tone I've adopted here just seems wrong? The new Lisa is all sincere. It'll just take a little while for the smartass to come back, maybe.

Anyway, speaking of painfully earnest, I wanted to say that I am in fact humbled by the resilience I see among people here. They walk by those mass graves every day on their way to work, life and what passes for routine now. They play with their children, they volunteer, they put flowers on the graves.

We drink coffee and fly home.

I'll be home on the 23rd, around 7:00 pm.

1 Comments:

Blogger miss.nicola said...

What's mawkish is the freaking comment spam after an earnest post like that. Good wishes to you and your heart.

Tue Sep 20, 02:03:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home